Press "Enter" to skip to content

How to become a successful entrepreneur

Victoria Pam 0

Do you admire the likes of Aliko Dangote, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs among others? These great men have paved paths for others to follow and have become successful entrepreneurs in their different fields. Entrepreneurship can be described as a process in which an individual (entrepreneur) takes an action. This action should be in line with starting something innovative and creative. Entrepreneurship is a resultant mix of many qualities and traits of a person (entrepreneur). According to Dr. J.E. Stepenek – Entrepreneurship is the capacity to take a risk; ability to organize and desire to diversify and make innovations in the enterprises.

Becoming an Enterpreneur

So how do you know that you are meant to be an entrepreneur? Well anyone can be an entrepreneur but still, not everyone can be one. Entrepreneurs are risk takers not just gambled risk but calculated risks. Taking that risks makes you avoid asking yourself the ‘what if’ questions. Such as what if I had left that job and started that business? The Founder and CEO, of Amazon Jeff Bezos, is known for this quote; I knew that when I was 80, I was not going to regret having tried this, that if I failed I wouldn’t regret that but I knew one thing. I might regret not ever having tried. And I knew that would haunt me every day.

Creativity is a key characteristic of an entrepreneur, thinking of new ways to improve things that have already been done. Entrepreneurs are focused on a big picture, strategically planning to achieve their goals.
Sacrificing is important. As an entrepreneur, starting a business requires sacrificing your time and money. Investment of time requires that you research and sometimes repeatedly do things in order to get the desired results. That’s why most times people have to quit their jobs in other to start.

Also sacrificing your money, you might get someone to invest money into your business but sometimes you might not. Starting up requires capital time and money.
So now that you know this, the following steps will help to improve your entrepreneurial skills.

Creativity and Passion

Recently, it seems like people are doing everything we want to do. We sometimes are scared to venture into the business because of that. To escape that might be impossible. We therefore have to bring our ingenuity into whatever sector we decide to go into. An entrepreneur has to think out of the box and read books. Learn from people who are ahead of you and have a mentor. Do you know what you want to be? To achieve that, you need to spend as much time with people who are there already.

Also, have an emotional investment in what you are doing. Will you go on with an idea and do it well even if you don’t get money out of it? Passion is neccessary when starting up because if you don’t love what you do, failure is guaranteed. Do something you are very passionate about. Don’t try to chase something because it is the hot passion of the day.

Planning

Starting a business at the infant stage requires a lot of research and planning. Learn to write down your activities of the day. Have a to-do-list, this helps to know your priorities and run with those plans for the day. Have a catalog of your day. Write out every single thing you do and ask yourself if there is something there. Write down your business ideas, no idea is too silly, just write it down. There is a beautiful thing about writing it down. You might start having steps in your mind to take in order to achieve that goal. Remember to also write down the steps.

Ask Questions (The Why, What and How)

Ask yourself questions such as; given everything we have today, is there a way to make things better? What kind of new market is this creating and what problem is it solving. The why, the what and the how; these questions are important. You have to know what you are creating. How you intend to go about that and why you want to go into that business. The thing is almost every organization knows what they do. A little bit fewer of that population knows how they do it and very few know why they do it. What do you intend to achieve?? Money?? Money is a result. The why question involves what the purpose is of starting the business. What is the story around what you are doing, why does your organization exist?

Oprah Winfrey

Vision

Have a vision, believe and talk about it with the right people. As an entrepreneur, you have to believe enough in whatever you do. Foster the belief in what you are dreaming so that it becomes a reality. Talk to your friends and people you think can be of help. Not necessarily to invest money but to also invest their time and wisdom towards achieving your goals. Don’t leave your ideas sitting in your head. The more you believe, talk about it and work towards achieving your goals, it will gradually become a reality.

Create a team

To develop a business you can’t do it alone. There is a need for partners that you can trust their skills and abilities. Find people that are crazy enough with your idea to run with it and also want to improve that idea.
Be persistent, don’t quit; it might be really hard to start a business that any rational person will feel like giving up. To be successful as an entrepreneur you have to do it over a sustained period of time. Just do it, try and learn from it but never quit. Don’t let people tell you that it can’t be done.

Steve Jobs

In conclusion, entrepreneurs are not selfish people. People who put others first are the best entrepreneurs. The products which you build will not be used by you alone. The world has to see it and not just see it but also buy it. By putting others first, you begin to identify the need of people, through that, ideas can come up. Start with small markets and take over those markets, constantly seek criticism, accept them and grow through them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: